Monday, November 8, 2010

Across the Street from....

 Across the street from the falling down building is this building:
Looks solid, yes?
Long before the drama unfolded across the street I had noted one of those industrial dumpsters had been moved next to the old Community Cleaners building. I had wondered if its days were numbered until I noticed one of the boarded up windows had been replaced with a new one.
I figured they wouldn't have replaced this window if they were going to tear it down.
Still, until the painters came I was taking a wait and see attitude.
Certainly brightens up the corner.

I like how they highlighted the details around the windows.
The painters were on the site when I stopped to take a picture. One of them asked me if he could take a picture of me on my bike while I was taking a picture of the building. I told him, "Sure." They told me the building was going to house a day care center for ages 2 to 12. It occurred to me as I rode off I should have asked if I could take a picture of the guys who did this. Oh well, an opportunity lost.

However, a couple days later when I passed by, there they were. I stopped and they were happy to pose for me.
A good looking group. The man with the paintbrush was actually working. He didn't want to stop, but he really wanted to pose. It was very sweet.
Life is good.

8 comments:

  1. Nice bright primary colors for kids. Judging by their industrial, insulated coveralls I am guessing it is a little chilly there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori: Last week it was on the chilly side, but today it got up to 75F. It's going to be warm for the next few days. It is November, go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what they've done with the place :)
    It's an interesting building to begin with, and the cheerful colors are perfect for kids. I'd love to see inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This past weekend I was riding in Florida in 44F temps. Daytime avg was 55. 75F sounds heavenly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori: Last week my morning commute was in the low 30's, but that was last week. This week is heaven for November, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms bluekat: The worker with the braids told me they have completely redone the inside. No surprise there, but he added that they did the work from the inside out. This seemed to mean something to him, but I'm not sure what he meant and didn't take the time to pursue it.

    I'm not much for crowds, but I may stick my head in if/when they have an open house. So, there is a chance, albeit not very good one given my propensity toward avoiding crowds, that you just might get to see what they've done on the inside. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Circle Blue:

    I came across a comment from you on my blog today, and couldn't resist the urge to find out who you were. I am fascinated by your "wee chariot," and your adventures. I hope yoiu don'tmind that I have posted a link to your blog on mine. There is very little redeeming social value to "Twisted Roads," yet I have it on good authority that what little there is will soon be stolen.

    Nice pictures of a rejuevenated building.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted roads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack: I'm honored to have you visit and am delighted that you have posted a link on your blog to mine.

    I have often read your blog and am surprised if this is the first time I commented, but perhaps it is.

    My "wee chariot" is 101cc of pure fury...well, maybe not pure fury...well, maybe just a little fury...well, maybe not any fury...but lots of determination. Billie and I are a good pair.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete