Saturday, April 14, 2012

90% Chance of Rain

One of Heather and my favorite activities together is day hiking. This weekend Saturday was our together day, but the forecast was for rain. And, I mean they weren't exactly guessing. They had hung a big old 90% chance on it.

What to do? We decided we would take a road trip and see if we could find the Audubon Trail. the Audubon Trail is located in the Mark Twain National Forest. The hiking guide we have suggested hiking this trail in the winter months, but since we were just trying to find it, it seemed a rainy day in April would do just fine.


On our way out of town I noticed this hydrant. With the cone on its top it looked rather gnome-ish to me. What do you think?

Did I mention they said it was going to rain?

 They were right.

The Trail is located near the St. Francois-Ste. Genevieve County line Sourtheast of Farmington, MO. By the time we got there the sun was shining.


Getting there involves about 4.5miles of gravel road.

The unofficial Trailhead is located near the ford over Bidwell Creek.


There was nowhere to park, but the road did widen out. I pulled the Yaris over on the graveled shoulder. There were some open areas that could work for parking if the ground hadn't been so wet.  


The reason to hike this trail in the winter months is for the views. As we got out of the car and the insects starting buzzing around my head I could think of another good reason to do this trail during the colder months.


But, it turned out that a certain insect made our day. On the other side of the creek we came across a recent campsite.


There were butterflies everywhere. They were so thick they were literately on top of one another.

Most of the butterflies looked like this. 

But, some looked like this.
And, some looked like this.
I think I liked the blue ones best.
We, also, saw a new wildflower.

These are called fire pinks.
We didn't spend a lot of time at the trail head, but we are looking forward to coming back. I'm not sure we can wait until winter, but then again, neither of us are very fond of the kind of bugs that bite and sting.



11 comments:

  1. Butterflies are my kind of bug. At least they don't sting, and they look so beautiful. Hiking these days indeed gets a bit challenging with the bug season in full force. Lovely pics, Keith!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bugs were certainly out in this area. The mild winter will make for more bugs I think, but until these rains it had been quite dry which has kept down the mosquitoes at least a little bit...I guess.

      Thanks for the comment on the photos. It is usually difficult for me to get photos of butterflies but this day there were just so many of them the law of averages worked out.
      ~k

      Delete
  2. I second what Sonja said. They are beautiful! Great pictures! I hope you get a good stretch of nice weather so you get out & hiker or take Billie for a tootle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Billie and I have been "tootling" along just fine. I'm just back from a nice 50mile+ urban ride. It was rather windy, but dry.

      We need nice weather for the hiking and we need space in Heather's projects for her to have the time off. Makes for challenges, but we are grateful she has a job. In her field many aren't so lucky.
      ~k

      Delete
  3. Very gnomish. What's the box off to the side? You had me wondering "why winter"...and then the answers came. :). Our winter was so mild here it didn't kill the bugs, so the Mosquitos are out in full force already. Similar situation there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      I have absolutely no idea what the box is for. It seems to be part of the hydrant. I probably will go back and take another look, but I suspect I'll be as baffled as I am now.

      Until this last week it has been very dry here which has slowed the mosquitoes, but my dog loving friends tell me it is a very good year to be a flea.
      ~k

      Delete
  4. A worthy treasure hunt! I think most of the US is going to have an interesting and possibly very difficult summer. Bugs and weeds might be just the start of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your thinking about an interesting summer. Oh well, the only way through it will be to live through it. I never thought growing up in the "Fifties" and early "Sixties" I be living in this type of epic times.
      ~k

      Delete
  5. The hydrant does look gnomish - good find.

    But those butterflies are even better. What a treasure to see them. We don't get many kinds of butterflies around here so it is always welcome to see pictures. The blue is really beautiful.

    Not a fan of biting bugs but sometimes there isn't much we can do about them, bug spray, long sleeves and pants and hats with nets maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect some of these were moths, but I haven't a clue what is what when it comes to the difference. Biting bugs are doing what their supposed to do. If we go into their world than we've either got to take precautions or suffer the consequences. Having had a melanoma removed a few years ago I cover up anyway, and I've surrendered and use bug spray now as well.

      The butterflies will definitely be a treasured memory.
      ~k

      Delete
  6. Keith:

    I used to walk a lot, but not so much nowadays. This seems like a good time with flowers blooming and butterflies, flying.

    I also saw a hydrant the other day with a Cone on top and it did look like a Gnome. A day walking in the rain can be refreshing, just keep your camera covered

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete