Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Don't Know, A Few Surprises, and A Blue Sky

Today I took Billie to see her favorite technician in hopes we could find what caused the loud screeching sound I experienced last weekend when I was riding. We changed the oil and found nothing suspicious there. When we checked the oil screen, it was clear. There were no metal flakes. Actually, everything checked out just fine. There were no surprises and no smoking gun. All we know is when me wee chariot gets very hot something is expanding and rubbing against something else which makes a horrible screeching sound. What is that something? We don't know. Not knowing is a bummer, but knowing it isn't the piston is a good thing. I guess the moral of the story is don't run Billie wide open throttle.

I did get a little surprise on the way over to see Mike. This was the first time I've been to his present location. To get to his shop I had to turn off Morganford onto a side street to get to the alley where his shop is actually located.
Hmmm, Alma Ave. When I think of Alma this is who comes to mind:
Yep, my not yet two year old granddaughter has joined the world of two wheel transport. I had nothing to do with it, but I definitely approve of the color.

Speaking of color, I love Spring in St. Louis. The flowering bushes are all blossoming right now. Color is everywhere.
There is yellow.

And, there is this color pink....

And, there is this color pink.

Of course, there is also basic white.
Today was supposed to be a rainy day. No surprise there since I took a vacation day. Lately, it seems the weather is nearly always rainy when I'm off work. But surprise, by afternoon the sky had cleared, the sun came out, the rain went away, and I was able to fit in a nice 15mi/24km inline skate. I like surprises like that.


16 comments:

  1. Even these little photos bring me right back to my roots in that part of the country. Those brick houses...I grew up in a neighborhood filled with old brick houses and brick streets....and all those lovely, lovely trees. Hey, how about some magnolia photos? Drive a arrow into my heart and show me one of those....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the magnolias around here have all bloomed and dropped their pedals. I'll keep my eyes open, but like the May Apples I afraid their time has come and gone.

      Brick. St. Louis is a city of brick. For a very long time you couldn't build a wood house. There was a big fire and that was it.

      Thanks for stopping by,
      ~k

      Delete
  2. Sunshine is always a welcome surprise. All those pretty flowers welcome it too I bet.

    Alma's Strider bike is way cool. i've heard good things about them. Won't be long before she'll want to ride on Billie.

    Bummer you didn't find Billie's issue with the rubbing/screeching when hot. I guess no new is good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just started to see the Strider Bikes. They make so much more sense than training wheels. I don't think Alma's Mom would stand for a ride on Billie. I think you are right, tho, soon she'll be pedaling and her world will become much bigger :)

      The really good news about "the noise" is knowing it isn't the piston and the cylinder. For now, I need be careful not to push Billie beyond her limits, which is really a good idea anyway.
      ~k

      Delete
  3. Flowers... I think I remember seeing those sometime. Beautiful shots of the homes.

    15 mile skate! That's a pretty good workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is early here. I'm sure your Spring will come.

      Skating has been a blessing. I have decent ligament stops in my knees, but little cartilage left in my left knee and none in my right. When I inline skate I get very little swelling and no pain post exercise. The wheels act like cushions. I used to do longer skates but since the car hit me last July, I haven't had the "jump" in my legs. I'm beginning to wonder if it will come back, or at age 61 if this just is what it is.

      Thanks for the comment.
      ~k

      Delete
  4. Flowers are springing up around here as well....though the next snow fall will probably kill these early risers.

    Dom

    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't always pay to be early...but most of the time it does.
      ~k

      Delete
  5. Ah...a beautiful day to get out and play. I'm sorry that Billie wasn't diagnosed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day. Yes, it would have been better to find out what was making the noise, but it was very good to rule out a couple of very expensive things.
      ~k

      Delete
  6. Maybe Billie just didn't feel like going out that day? I hope you get this figured out soon. We are experiencing a bit of a rainy spring, but the sun usually bursts out in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As before, everything seems to be fine now. So, perhaps you're correct: Billie just was tired of it that day and wanted a short rest.
      ~k

      Delete
  7. Dear Kieth:

    One of the big differences between motorcycles and cars is that many autos have become somewhat foll=proof and predictably reliable. Most motorcycles, for the exception of Hondas, have at least one or two design flukes.

    You may find yourself pushing Billie close to the machine's design envelope. This is good news... Because you may eventually opt for a larger bike... Which will have different quirks.

    I loved the pictures of those posh houses surrounded by flowers.

    Fondest regards,
    Kack/reep
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I'm aware I'm pushing the limits of what the Symba can do. I work at avoiding these situations, but this day I didn't do such a good job. I do hope a larger bike is in the future, and I have no illusions aboout it being "perfect". All bikes have strength and weaknesses, which is why so many folks have more than one.

      Glad you like the photos.
      ~k

      Delete
  8. Kieth-

    One thing to check on Billie is the speedometer cable. Re had a loud, metallic, whirring sound appear a few times on our trip so far. Each time it was when we were cruising north of 45 mph. I checked the wheel bearings, looked at the oil, and hunted around for other possible causes, but found nothing. I mentioned it online and someone suggested perhaps a dry speedometer cable might be the culprit. We lubed them with engine oil (all we had) and the sound hasn't reoccurred. They do make special cable lube that you can pick up at some motorcycle shops, or talk to the guys at Maplewood. It might not be the problem, but it is easy to check and fix. Good Luck!

    Colin/Underboning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin,
      Thanks for the tip. We'll check it out. And, thanks for stopping by. I'm honored. Been following your progress and will be interested where you end up. You've been very good at keeping us updated on your travels. I was one of those in ADV wondering if you were all right when you were on the Wifi famine.

      Take care and be safe.
      ~k

      Delete