Saturday, April 21, 2012

Oh, He Is That Leo

This post is about the importance of having the correct gear.

And, it is about Leo, the cat I serve.

Leo at rest.

At the beginning of the year we received a notice from the Veterinarian informing us it was time for Leo to have his shots updated. Heather called to set up an appointment. Leo doesn't like to go to the Vet. He makes no effort to hide his displeasure. He has developed a reputation at the animal hospital we go to.

When reminded who Leo was, of his prior visits, and the previous discussions about even the possibility of the Doctor making a home visit the technician said, "Oh, he is that Leo." She added, "Let me talk with the Doctor and I'll call you back." She didn't call back

Leo, in one of his more regal moments.

Leo is a cat with a history. He was found next to road when he was a kitten. They estimate he was approximately seven months old. He had been hit by a car and had a broken pelvis. He was nursed back to health and put up for adoption. This is when Heather came into the picture. She adopted Leo. He still has some nerve damage which effects his gait. It was quite pronounced when Heather first got him. He came with the name Mr. Weebles. Heather thought that demeaning and changed his name to Leo. Because he has limitations with his rear legs and uses his front legs to pull himself up on things, declawing him has never been an option, which should classify him as a lethal weapon.

Leo is what one could call a cat with personality. To say Heather found herself with a spirited cat is like saying a hurricane is breezy. When I came onto the scene a few months after Leo things weren't going very well. Heather was afraid of Leo.

I grew up on a farm and was raised around barn cats; some tame, some nearly feral, and most somewhere in between. I've had cats most of my life, but I'd never met a cat like Leo. He'd hiss and swipe at me like those wilder cats I'd grew up with, but he wouldn't run. Maybe he didn't know he could. Anyway,  he would get this wild look in his eye and it was difficult to not feel like you were his prey. Looking back I suspect he too was afraid, but I must say at the time I thought Heather had a mentally ill kitty on her hands.

I don't know if it was the firm hand I brought into the household when I arrived or if it just took a long time for Leo to adjust to his new surroundings, but whatever the case he seems to have turned it around, at least with us. Heather has commented how she never expected him to be a lap cat, but  seldom is he not on one of ours.

But, going to the Vet is still a problem. I've never had an animal who liked going to the Vet, but Leo's aversion to it is epic. And, although we hadn't received a call back, we did continue to receive notices from the animal hospital in the mail. Heather has been ignoring them, but now with us moving into the "windows open" season it seemed a good idea to get Leo's shots taken care of.

In the past Heather has taken Leo to the Vet. This time I was brought into it.  And, I was ready.

Kevlar jacket? Check.

Insulated and reinforced FXR Racing gloves? Check.

When we got to the Vet Leo threw his normal hissy fit. He growled, hissed, bit, clawed and tore away at me, but no damage was done. As he was carrying on the Vet commented, "Those are some awesome gloves."

Those are teeth marks. That could have been my hand.

As is the case with these things, it was all over rather quickly. And, Leo was back home to continue his charmed life.

Leo, no worse for wear, having survived his visit to the Vet settled in on the bed to do some light reading.

It's all about having the right gear and wearing it.

18 comments:

  1. Very funny Keith. Moses isnt as bad..but he is the boss. Where would we be with out out cats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      I've seldom been without a cat. I'm a definite cat lover. Dogs? Not so much. I find cats fascinating, challenging, and endlessly entertaining.

      Delete
  2. aaaaaah, i love your leo! cats with a past/history always seem to make the most heart-filling impact on our lives, in my opinion, and thats definitely a pawprint like leos. i bet he settles down after a couple of uneventful trips to the vet under his claws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet said if he didn't through an apocalyptic fit, she would worry that something was terribly work with him. I suspect he is never going to go to the vet gracefully. I was grateful for your post about your Cinco. I'm so glad he came through his little crisis.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
      ~Keith

      Delete
  3. No actions shots of the gear in action??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,
      Leo wouldn't sign the release. The first two photos are file photos. The only photo he would approve was the one of him reading the hiking book. :)

      Delete
  4. Poor Leo. But makes me happy he ended up in a home that can handle and care for him. Good choice of gloves. :)

    Leo doesn't retaliate? Our cat would take revenge...in the middle of the night...or on my favorite glassware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far no revenge, but I'm not letting my guard down.

      Delete
  5. Keith:

    Hope Leo doesn't take revenge in the middle of the night. Maybe you should close your door for a few days

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bob,
      Leo can't stand a closed door. That would set him off for sure. But, as I said so far he is just happy to be home.

      Delete
  6. I certainly understand both sides of this story. You are most wise to suit up. I have a near shredded heavy leather jacket that's about 30 years old now and I used to be able to tell you where each tear and nick came from. Now the jacket is covered with rips, and memories, too. I'm sure Leo has memories that he carries around just like my jacket does.

    Thanks for the Leo story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,
      Yes, I'm very sure Leo has profound memories and fears from being taken care of. I don't suspect they will ever go away. The Vet understands that. I'm grateful I had been around a large group of cats. I'm pretty sure he missed out on some socialization while confined in the cage. He didn't take to other cats either, but I recognize the biting behavior and the rough play from watching the barn cats work things out. I thought Heather was going to die when I bit Leo back once. It surprised him, but he got the message. It was rather funny actually.

      I mentioned to you in a comment I needed to figure out a way to get more photos of Leo in my blog. And, I did.

      Glad you appreciated the story.
      ~k

      Delete
  7. I am glad that Heather found Leo and was able to give him such a good home. I bet Leo has memories of getting his hips/pelvis fixed and that is why he has the aversion to the vet. Poor kitteh.

    Good choice of gear for the occasion. I may have to remember it the next time we need to stuff dewormer pills down Basil's gullet. (every 6 months)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy,
      Yes, I'm sure there is much fear and pain imprinted in Leo's muscle and bones. It is remarkable how much he has settled down. Part of that is being four years old. He is mellowing out. And, part of it I think is he has had a consistent habitat for the last three years. He has settled in and has a home.

      Poor Basil, oh well.
      ~k

      Delete
  8. I''m with Bob on this one. Bolt the bedroom door and sleep in your gear. ATGATT for the CAT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who knew you would have to be ATGATT when dealing with a Cat! OMG poor Leo, he must have been so traumatized when he was little and hurt. Glad you all came out of it unscathed! Maybe you have a new apparel line CAT ATGATT Apparel for the vet who likes to keep their skin intact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar,
      The vet and one of the assistants asked me where I got the gloves and how much they cost. Who knows, I may have started something.
      ~k

      Delete