Saturday, March 9, 2013

New Helmet

Last Monday I accidentally dropped my everyday cold weather helmet onto a marble floor. You can read the details here. Yesterday I got my new helmet. It is basically the same model of helmet but manufactured in 2012 rather than 2010.

It feels a little different on my head, but in a good way. Perhaps they have tweated the fit a little. Today I'll take it for a ride and I will know more. I liked the old helmet. It was noisy as are perhaps all modular helmets, but I wear ear protection and this wasn't a major problem for me. The biggest plus of my old CKX helmet was it didn't fog up. The old helmet had some air leaks which if I rode in a colder area might be a concern.

It is an inexpensive helmet.Yes, I could tell the difference in comfort when I tried on a Arai helmet the other day at Cyclegear and perhaps one day I will spend the money on a great helmet. This is not a great helmet. It is a good helmet. It is DOT approved and I feel satisfied it will protect my fragile little noggin.

The new helmet isn't white, but I think it is pretty visible. But, enough talk, time to ride.

16 comments:

  1. Bummer about the helmet, but this one is so much prettier. Awesome color! I hope it is all you are looking for in a safe brain bucket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why am I not surprised you like the color? :^)

      I liked the other helmet and this one is basically the same. So far so good.

      Delete
  2. Nice looking helmet! I can say I do notice a difference in my Shoei compared to my old HJC. It s quieter and venting s better and the face shield has better anti scratch coating. I am now sold on Shoei helmets, but I would only buy them on sale. I need to start a helmet replacement fund for a new one in four years.

    I dropped my old HJC and it's now in the recycle depot. I took it apart so no one would be tempted to use it. So sad to junk a helmet.

    Enjoy your new helmet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find it sad to junk a helmet and not simply because of the money involved, but there are memories, too.

      I'm glad you have found a helmet you are sold on. May you have it for many miles.

      Delete
  3. Getting a well fitting and comfortable helmet that you like the look of is very challenging. I can never seem to get it right, so I hope your new lid works out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the challenge is how different they feel on the bike rather than in the store. Oh well, so far so good. I went for a couple of hour ride Saturday and all was well.

      Delete
  4. You get to be a dandelion now, too! Dandy Lion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nearly neighbors and now both dandelions. I hope people won't begin to talk

      :^)

      Delete
  5. "Hi viz" and "stealth", all in the same packet!

    Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of bi-polar.

      Your observation made me laugh out loud.

      Delete
  6. I like the yellow color. Nice and visible.

    I hope it serves you well and stays comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the colour - daffodil yellow! Glad it fits comfortably - that's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about the fit. The color is growing on me. The white graphics seem to be reflective, an unexpected bonus.

      Delete
  8. Very nice color. Sorry you had to replace due to a mishap, but you have regained two years of safety. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori,
      The color scheme is growing on me. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but after wearing it over the weekend it is definitely my helmet.

      Good to hear from you,
      ~k

      Delete