|Amazing what one can do with duct tape and a couple, three door stops.|
When Mike first looked over my bike I noticed his eyes hovering over "my mess" on the front-end of the shift lever. I explained to him what had been my plan. He said, "When I get my welder moved in, I can do that." Well, he has had his welder moved in for quite awhile, but there always something else that was a bigger priority or we were crunched for time or something. Finally, this Saturday was the day.
|Here's the debris we removed from the front-end of the shift lever.|
|And here is the final product. He really did nice work.|
Another thing I've wanted to get taken care of was the lights in the rear paniers. When I got the paniers put on, the rear turn signals needed to be moved, but the technicians that were working at Maplewood Scooter Company at the time, said they couldn't do that. I thought the lights in the paniers could work as turn signals, but they assured me they wouldn't. I picked up some LED turn signals at Cyclegear and suggested they run wires from the old turn signals to these and mount them low on the real fender. They said they could do that. And, they charged me a pretty penny to do so. Sadly, at the time I thought I was getting a deal. Oh well.
I'm really grateful that Mike is willing to let me watch him work so that I can know what he does and how he does it. I'm not a mechanical dummy, I just can't figure out how to begin anymore. That said, I'm still pretty good at knowing when someone is doing what needs doing. I can see the method in the way Mike works. It reminds me of watching my Grandpa Cole work on a project. I could see Mike checking and double checking everything. It was truly a beautiful thing to behold.
Originally the plan was to just hook up the panier lights as brake lights, but with the demise of my "high priced" turn signals we moved to plan "B". I think it turned out pretty well. Jeff the Sales Manager took this video with his iphone:
I am pleased.