Thursday, November 4, 2010

While Billie was in the Shop

Last Saturday while Billie was in the shop Heather and I went for a walk in Forest Park. Forest Park was the site of the 1904 World's Fair here in St. Louis. There are remnants from the Fair still in use in the Park. Some examples are: The giant bird cage in the Zoo, and both the History Museum and the Art Museum use buildings from the World's Fair. I thought I knew Forest Park but we discovered some places I didn't know were there.
Near where we parked we found this sign.

This is Jefferson Lake

When I changed the angle of the above picture there was Barnes Jewish & Childrens Hospitals. One of the largest Hospital Complexes in the United States.
There were cattails and there were.....

...reminders humans were near by.

And there were ducks.
There were lots of scooters in the Park.

 
None of this surprised me, but....
When we crossed this bridge we entered into a part of the park I'd not been in before.

It was very nice.

There were rocks to climb on...

...and to do whatever it is Heather is doing in this picture.
Then came a surprise.

We found ourselves on a boardwalk passing through a wetlands habitat...

...complete with ducks acting like vacuums in the algae.
They left little trails.Then we left the park and headed up into the area of the City called the Central West End.    


I spied this old warrior chained in an alley next to a restaurant.

We, like many others had lunch on the sidewalk.

On our way back to the Park and our car we passed by Childrens Hospital. I thought this downspout was pretty cool.
 After we got back to our car we went and picked up Billie. Heather drove home and I got to ride.
Ed took this photo of me and Billie in the parking lot behind Maplewood Scooter.
Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Circle Blue:

    This looks like a fascinating park. I loved the picture of the walkway, but the rigid suspension bridge was truly amazing. Nice bit of urban exploration.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack: I've always been impressed with Forest Park, but I'm even more so now.

    I, too, was amazed by the bridge.

    Thanks again for visiting and commenting.

    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete