Saturday, January 26, 2013

Whoops!


Isn't there an old saying that goes something like: "It is better to discover you've been screwed at bath time rather than during ride time"?

I took Billie over the the local coin car wash today to rinse off some of the road chemicals. I didn't go to the wash directly. I took the long way via Carondolet Park. After my little detour and finishing my rinse I did my weekly close inspection of my tires. During my inspection, I noticed I'd picked up a little something in my front tire. As I'm certain my friend Jim in Wichita would say, "Whoops!"

The good news is the tire seems to be holding air. Monday after work if the tire is still holding air I'll ride it over to Mike's and we'll put in a new tube and probably put a patch over the hole I'm expecting to find when we pull the screw out. And if the tire isn't holding air? We'll come up with a plan B.

No matter how you look at it, it's good to be lucky.



13 comments:

  1. The tire still looks in perfectly good shape for many miles to come. I hope you'll be able to patch it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tire is almost brand new. It is a tube tire so I should be able to get many more miles out of it...once I get the new tube.

      Delete
  2. Lucky is right. Hope the patch holds.

    Maybe you picked it up in the parking lot of the coin wash. It might have come out of the bed of someone's truck when they were washing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was Billie's way of getting studs for her tires...one at a time.

      Delete
  3. +1 to Sonja's comment....hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had been the Kymco the whole tire would need be replaced. As it is a new tube and a patch on the inside of the tire and I should be good to go without breaking the bank.

      Delete
  4. Seriously...we need to explain to you things that should not be picked up... :) But I'm glad you found it now. At least you just have to patch it and the tube. Better than replacing it all because it doesn't have a tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lori, I'm glad it will be an easy and quite financially painless resolution to the problem. I really can't complain with the number of alleys I've explored over the time I've had Billie it is a wonder I haven't picked up more nails and stuff. I certainly hope this isn't a beginning of a trend.

      Delete
  5. If you have a tube in the tire I'd pull the screw out right away because the tube isn't damaged if it's still holding air. And I probably wouldn't patch the tire, although I might put a tubeless type plug in to be extra safe. If you ride with it in then you could work it further into the tire and puncture the tube which you'd then need to replace.

    If it's a tubeless tire, leave the screw in until you can plug it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had the same thing happen last spring (roofing nail - got nailed, not screwed!) Rear tire, lucky for me a tube is cheaper to replace than replacing the brand new tire with another new tire.) But it required a lift to the shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, lucky it is a tube tire and not a tubeless tire. It will be interesting to see just exactly what I've got. I've ordered another tube and it will be here in a couple of days. Until it gets here Billie sets in the garage waiting while Isabelle gets to go to work.

      Delete
  7. Keith:

    thankfully you found it near to home, rather than in the middle of nowhere. I had a nail in my tire a while ago but I was on my way to get new tires installed, so all was good

    Your tire is probably tubeless, so have an inside patch installed.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete