Saturday, December 15, 2012

No Such Problems

Heather and I spent some time at Pere Marquette State Park today.

The last time I was in the area I had a little problem with Isabelle.

The River Road runs right next to the Mississippi in Illinois.

 I was on the Great River Rd between Alton and Grafton near a little village name Elsah. I'd pulled over to take a couple of photos. After getting the pictures I started it back up, but when I got the stop sign it died and wouldn't start. I couldn't even get it to turn over. I pushed it back into the parking area. I tried the few things I knew. Nothing. I was at a loss. Finally I called Mike, even tho' I knew he was in Oklahoma. I told him what was going on. His first words were, "Oh shit." That was reassuring. We talked some more. Then he said, "Are you sure the kill switch isn't engaged?" How in the hell could the kill switch be engaged? I was coming up to a stop sign when it died. But, I looked. You already guessed the conclusion to this story didn't you? Yep, I must of bumped the kill switch somehow. Oh well, I was too relieved to feel all that embarrassed.

Today we had no such problems.

We saw a bald eagle. This is a major nesting area for them and sightings aren't rare, but still I feel  something special whenever I see one.

Even with the water levels so very low the Rivers are still the star.

The light played tricks on me. It looked like the River was iced over, but it wasn't.

And, this moss made me think of  the fair Lady Trobairitz

I am always amazed at the sight of trees growing out of the bluffs. These trees are a testimony to the strength of the will to life embedded in our world. A testimony to how life carries on even under harsh conditions. A good reminder after the harsh news of the killings in Connecticut.

12 comments:

  1. Keith, I love your attention to detail. The moss picture with its special light is beautifully captured, as well as the picture with the trees clinging to the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonja. I really don't know what else to say.

      Delete
  2. Great pictures. Don't feel too bad about the kill switch - we have all done something as equally silly as that. You feel dumb at the time, but then enjoy laughing at your self later. If you cannot laugh at yourself occasionally, something is wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my ability to laugh at myself has improved with age, and for that I'm grateful :)

      Delete
  3. The kill switch was an invention of the devil and so it has proved to be over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected the devil was involved somehow! The scooter won't run if the kickstand is down. I did check that, but never thought about the kill switch. Oh well, it will be a while before I overlook that detail again.

      Delete
  4. I did the Kill switch on the same day that I bought Max. Thought maybe I had bought a lemon. Turns out, I was the lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seem to have worked it out pretty well. I'm tempted to try and do the making lemonade out of lemons thing, but that is even too much of a cliche for me to trot out.

      Delete
  5. Great nature pictures Keith. Thanks for taking the moss picture for me. Nature always amazes me, whether it is trees rowing out of rock, mini mushrooms growing on trees or just about any marvel we see outdoors.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nature is amazing. I'm grateful Heather and I both enjoy being out and about in it. Two sets of eyes see different things.

      I was very pleased to see the moss covered rock so soon after you had posted those amazing photos of moss. It seemed another serendipity. I do so enjoy serendipity.

      Delete
  6. Nice photos. I have had the kill switch situation myself. All you can do is laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the photos. And, in this kill switch case, be very glad you didn't call rider rescue. Now, that would have been totally embarrassing.

      Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I appreciate it very much.
      ~Keith

      Delete