Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Surprise

Last night I witnessed and was immersed in surprise.

Some of the people I've had the privilege of making music with and the greater privilege of calling friends were doing a dress rehearsal for a gig coming up this weekend. Last year, this incredibly diverse group of musicians came together and created a Hanukkah performance piece like no other. It became an album. And, now its performance is turning into an annual event.   The venue for the actual performance is a night club called Off Broadway. The venue for this dress rehearsal was a apartment complex for elders located on the campus of the Jewish Community Center. It is difficult to imagine two more different venues.

The surprise came when the audience of elders made it very clear they not only liked the material, they loved it.


I think it surprised the audience, but I'm positive it surprised the musicians. How would you expect your "eighty something" relatives to react to a mix of electronica, straight jazz, poetry, some Benny Goodman clarinet, combined with a few remnants of the music of their youth?

I don't know what the expectations were of the musicians, but whatever they were the reality of what played out was richer.

Here's a link to a piece documenting last night's event. Click on the link and look at the faces of both the musicians and the audience.

And, here's a link to the album if you want to get a better and bigger taste of the music.

The type of surprise that blossomed last night is a powerful thing. It is the stuff which can change a life.

And, now for a little moto-content. My coming to riding had something kin to this type of surprise. As I've said often before, heaven knows I wasn't expecting to enjoy riding. I merely wanted to save a little on gas money and squeeze a few more miles out of my aging Ford Windstar. No matter my expectations, the reality was much richer.

It has become a journey of ascent, of drawing close to the very roots of the Tree of Life, and being surprised again and again and again.

14 comments:

  1. This is indeed special. I like the video. What a perfect audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The evening was so magical. I was very glad I was there. Tonight is the big Hullabaloo at Off Broadway. I'll glad to be struggled in my place after a nice chilly ride. I will look forward to hearing all about it. It is one of those things I will delight in experiencing second hand.
      ~k

      Delete
  2. That was a great video. Very artistic and the stills were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the guy who did it, but I totally agree. Yes, it is a wonderful piece. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll pass it on.
      ~k

      Delete
  3. Whoa! Tree of life? Earth to Major Tom... Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the comments I've received on my blogs, I think this is my all time favorite. Enjoy, I will! Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking that video/montage. What a great mixture of music and words. I can understand why the audience was wowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim the person doing the words, also, writes the words. If you didn't take the time to check out the link to the CD do. You can listen to the tracks free. There are some wonderful lines. Jim is an incredibly talented dude. I'm very grateful he has been a part of my life for many years now.
      ~k

      Delete
  5. Very Cool,
    The messages are spiritual, interesting and even a bit haunting. I enjoyed it.
    Thanks, K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimbo,
      My pleasure. I suspected you'd appreciate it. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
      ~k

      Delete
  6. I love that story about crafting with flaws. I might just steal it from you. :P The power of music to transform has always impressed me. Some nights are just magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my story. Actually, it isn't even Jim's. It is based on a story by Rabbi Nachman of Breslov. It probably dates from the early 19th Century. Good stuff, indeed. There certainly was a lot of magic in the air this evening. It was a truly marvelous night. Glad you enjoyed the story. It is a good story. Story like music can transform. Put them together and...
      ~k

      Delete
  7. Keith, what can I say? What a jewel of a story. Extremely touching. I'm buying that album. Simply amazing. Well done. That's living your life and making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy the album. I must admit I liked it performed live better, but often that is the case, yes? They are making a difference in so many ways. Good people.

      Delete